Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Welcome to the world Logan Cecil Sullivan Higginson!

Well, I've been really bad about updating the last few months. On July 1 at 2:43pm God gave us another miracle! Logan Cecil Sullivan Higginson was born to us weighing 6 lbs 15 oz and measuring 20.5 inches!! He is such a delight!

It is so amazing how each of my births were completely different. This time around we decided on an elective induction 1 week early because it would be the day before the long holiday weekend, so I would get 4 days with my baby for only 1 vacation day. Unfortunately with the demands of residency I only get 4 weeks off, so 4 extra days makes a big difference!! With Alahna my water broke 11 days early but I didn't go into labor on my own so I had to have pitocin for 4 hours without an epidural (OUCH) then my epidural completely wore off by the time it was time for pushing, so I felt everything! Little did I know that with a proper epidural it would be super easy! This birth story was much more laid back. We had a great family day of just me, Eric and Alahna on Thursday doing lots of fun things for the last time as a family of 3! We went to the library for a music class, out to eat at PF changs, and swimming! I was pretty emotional about the whole situation but had a great time and was very excited to get to meet my son!!

We went to the hospital at 11 pm Thursday night, I got two doses of Cytotec (a medicine to soften and dilate your cervix) which got me to go from 2cm and 50% to 3 cm and 60%. I was having mildly strong contractions by morning and didn't know how quickly I would progress so opted for an epidural around 10am when I was between 3-4cm. Then it was just a waiting game!! They actually didn't check me again until 1:30pm because I wasn't feeling any pressure or anything and my contractions were nice and regular. At that time I was 8 cm and 80%, but he was hanging on by his monkey toes still in the -2 station! (that's second to highest in your pelvis). The nurse sat me up so gravity would work it' magic. She called it the ejection chair! HAHA! Well, it worked because within an hour I was complete and ready to push. 3 pushes with 3 contractions later and our little man was born!!! I actually felt like I cheated because there was no screaming in pain and said, geez that's it! Sign me up to have a third! =) We are so thankful that Logan was perfectly healthy and the delivery was so easy for me!!!


Alahna came up to meet her baby brother that evening with Eric. She was so excited!!! Eric gave her this mini test (game) of things she needed to do to be a big sister and then we went to get a hospital bracelet that says big sister. She still hasn't taken it off (19 days later!!!!) She is so sweet with him. She is constantly kissing him and rubbing her face on his soft baby skin and hair. She loves to hold his hand and help with things that she can. Daily she has been saying "I love my baby Logan soooooooo much!" We have been so lucky that both of us are able to be home with the kids for an entire month before I go back to work. It has definitely helped Alahna transition into the new role! Not to mention all the thoughtful gifts that people have brought her when they come to visit Logan!!
A few funny stories of Alahna being a big sister...
Before Logan was born we told her that mama and daddy will go to the hospital when baby brother is born and then she will come meet him, so she decided the hospital would be referenced as the "born place".
She is constantly saying "I was a baby when I was born" and will point at whatever is Logan's using now (like the baby bath for instatnce) and say "When I was a baby I was in that bath, but now I'm too big"! She really has a good grasp on it!
I was a little worried as to how she would react to me nursing him, but she has been great. We explained that babies are too little to eat food and they need milk from their mama to grow big and strong. So she says "I want milk too". We say, "well you are a big girl so you drink milk from a cup" She replies "Oh ok, I need milk from my cup!" She also has tried to "help" Logan eat when I'm nursing and squeezed my breast for him to get more milk! I cracked up and she said, "what, I'm helping" God love toddlers!!!

I am LOVING being a mom of two! I almost forgot how much I love having a baby around. He is so cuddly and adorable! It's so fun being able to snuggle with him, but still talk to and play with the "everlasting battery" (2 1/2 year old Alahna)! Logan is such a laid back baby. I think the second time around is SOOOO much easier, because I feel like I know what I'm doing and we aren't walking on egg shells around him. He is already napping in his bed during the day or in the pack n play downstairs, swing, stroller at the park, or well anywhere =) He is totally different than Alahna was. He loves his pacifier and will actually put himself to sleep if you lay him down drowsy with a paci! Alahna didn't do that until at least 3-4 months and even then she would cry herself to sleep! He just drifts off quietly!! I love it =) This allows me to get things done around the house and spend quality time with Alahna. He is becoming much more alert when he is awake and will stay awake for about an hour after each feeding in the morning! He's finally back up to his birth weight and getting into a good feeding schedule of every 2 hours during the day and 3 hours at night. Babies are so much fun!

My mom was able to come in for a short visit to meet the little bambino. It was such a blessing having an extra set of hands to play with Alahna and get some snuggle time in with Logan. We always LOVE having Grammy visit. She's coming back for a much needed longer visit at the end of August when I'm back to work.

Here are a few of my favorite pictures so far. There are sooooooo many that the rest will be on facebook for your enjoyment.













I am so overwhelmed with the amount of love I have for my children. God really creates us to be loving parents! I couldn't even imagine loving someone as much as I love Alahna and yet I do and it's so wonderful!!

1 comment:

  1. Both your children are so beautiful. I can't wait to meet Logan! God bless!

    ReplyDelete